Welcome to REDCap
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a free and secure web application that University of Toronto faculty and researchers can use to build and manage online surveys and databases. While REDCap can be used to collect virtually any type of data, it is specifically geared to support online or offline data capture for research studies and operations.
REDCap is a user friendly, cost-effective, and secure alternative to Microsoft Excel and Access to capture and manage research study data. It is not open source or freeware, and it cannot be downloaded by individuals.
This guide is intended for University of Toronto researchers who are new to REDCap at the university, and who want to use REDCap in their research projects.
The University of Toronto’s REDCap project instance is available at https://redcap.utoronto.ca
Managing REDCap User Accounts
Any individual affiliated with the University of Toronto seeking to execute research or administrative endeavors with a UTORid is eligible for a REDCap account.
Each REDCap user requires an eToken to access the University of Toronto REDCap instance. An eToken is a secure multi-factor authentication device.
To obtain an eToken:
- Contact your faculty’s IT department for information about where to find the appropriate eToken administrator.
- Provide the appropriate eToken administrator with the following:
- University of Toronto email address
- your full name
- After the eToken administrator registers your eToken with the credentials above, your eToken is compatible with REDCap.
- Inquiries about the appropriate eToken software to install should be made to your local IT department.
Requesting a REDCap User Account
Note: Each University of Toronto researcher who wants a REDCap user account must submit a request. You cannot submit a request for another researcher.
To request a REDCap user account:
- Email your request for a REDCap user account from your utoronto.ca email account to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In your request, include your full name, department, faculty, reason for needing access and UTORID.
To activate your account:
- You will receive an email message with an activation link.
- Click the activation link in the email message you receive.